7 Tips On How To Build Your Email List
By Ruth Morgan
If you want to run a successful online business you need to identify people who are interested in your products or services and make sales to them. An integral part of this process is building an email list. You then have the ability to develop relationships with your prospects and make repeat sales to your customers.
You will see lots of hype online about how you can add thousands of people to your email list in a very short period of time. This is possible but the key question you need to ask is whether these people are ever likely to buy from you. Always go for quality rather than quantity. Here are 7 tips for building a quality email list of people who are likely to buy your products and become loyal customers.
1. Understand what your potential customers want. This may sound rather obvious but believe me it's not! It's possible to spend a long time creating products for which there's no demand. Don't fall into this trap. Do your research - go online, visit forums, listen to what people are saying about the problems and challenges they face. Then you'll get a good understanding of what potential customers want.
2. Establish your credibility in your market niche. Give people a reason to join your email list. If you can show them that you know what you're talking about, that you can give them quality information and solutions to their problems, do you think that they'll want to sign up to your list? Of course - people are hungry for this sort of help.
3. Provide good quality content on all your platforms. This is how you will make a name for yourself as someone who is worth listening to. Make sure that your website, blog, social media etc give people the information and answers that they're looking for. People will see and appreciate the quality and will be much more likely to spend money buying your products and services as a result.
4. Make sure your website and blog are optimised for the search engines. You want people to find your site when they search for information online. If your website is on page 85 of the search engine results for your keywords then people aren't going to find you. So when you're creating content make an effort to use the right keywords in the right places. This isn't difficult but it is easy to overlook in your rush to get content on your website and blog posts.
5. Get people to your website using paid advertising. This will give you quicker results than search engine optimisation but it's a good idea to use both approaches. You need to be careful that your advertising is targeting the right sort of people or else you will be wasting your money.
6. Partner with other people in your niche. This is a great way of building your list quickly. Identify other businesses that are complementary to yours but avoid direct competitors. As an example, if you have an ebook on 'How to grow roses' you could get in touch with a company selling roses. Ask them to email their list with a great discount offer on your ebook and then reward them with a percentage of the profits. They will make money and you will get more people on your email list - a win win scenario!
7. Make it easy for people to join your list. After you've succeeded in getting visitors to your website you don't want them to read your helpful content and then leave without giving you their email address. Make it your number one objective to capture the contact details of all your visitors.
So don't just have one sign up box on your homepage. Consider placing sign up forms in various locations e.g. the sidebar, footer area, pop ups and on blog posts. It's very easy to create attractive web forms and to link them in with your autoresponder service. Make them a great offer in return for their email address - you'll find this an easy task if you've understood their needs and created high quality content.
To summarise, by following these 7 tips you'll make great progress in building a quality list of prospects who are genuinely interested in your products or services, appreciate your expertise and are likely to become your loyal customers.
For more hints and tips about running a profitable online business claim your free copy of Ruth Morgan's 90 page report Internet Marketing Revealed today. You'll also get her 5 part guide to setting up an online business. To get your free report and 5 part guide go to HowToBuildYourInternetBusiness.com now.